Are you wondering how you can create a retirement that will be fulfilling and meaningful?
Retirement’s a transition to a new chapter of life that has its own challenges as well as rewards. Being a success at it is more than a matter of saving up money and having a financial plan. Failing to plan for the mental, social, physical, and spiritual aspects of retirement can lead to problems down the road:
- Enjoying it at first, but after a few years feeling something is missing
- Spending the first few years wondering how you fit it, and what it all means
- Questioning your decision to retire, and wondering where it all went wrong
- Feeling isolated, unappreciated, and alone as your social environment changes
- Struggling with mental as well as physical challenges, and self medicating
Imagine a retirement that’s a new beginning, a time for reinventing yourself. You might pursue things you’ve been putting off because you didn’t have time for them when you were working. You view retirement realistically, but are optimistic about the future because you see it as a time to pursue new opportunities. You know that there will be challenges and losses, but you’ve developed a resilience that allows you to deal with adversity and find happiness, personal growth and purpose in the second half of life.
So why are you struggling with envisioning and realizing a meaningful and purposeful retirement? It often starts with the assumptions about retirement that we inherit from our families, or that we’ve been taught over the years by a culture that sees retirement as the tail end of our lives, rather than as the start of something new.
To overcome these challenges, you need to:
- Understand your unconscious beliefs, motivations, and principles
- Clarify your life purpose and goals for the second half of your life
- Proactively manage the issues that life will throw at you in retirement
- Use your purpose and goals to decide which life roles to increase and which to decrease
This is where retirement coaching comes in … I work with motivated retirees and those on the road to retirement who hear the clock ticking and avoid getting stuck in a retirement that doesn’t meet their needs and wants. I offer retirement coaching that will help you design a meaningful and exciting retirement around a future you really look forward to. And if you need help with the financial planning piece, I can work with you to find someone that can work with you.
OK, That covers retirement — What about working on my career?
Read the material about retirement above — you’ll find that almost all of it also applies to choosing or changing a career. And many retirees need or want work they can do in retirement. For me, this has meant my retirement and career coaching work. What career coaching will do is help you identify careers that would be joyful and personally rewarding for you, determine what’s needed to transition to them, make a selection based on your current and future circumstances, and come up with a roadmap that will get you there.
If you’re ready to start working on a blueprint for your remarkable retirement or new career direction, take the next step and schedule a free consultation with me!